Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

January 9, 2013

Book Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Title: Obsidian
Series: Lux #1
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published: November 23rd 2011
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.
Obsidian has been on my radar for a while, and after so many good recommendations and a fantastic sale at Amazon, I couldn't resist.

Now I know why almost everyone liked this book. Katy, the protagonist, is a book blogger, which of course made me kind of like her from the start, but she's not the typical dumb girl (of course not, she's a reader!), and Daemon, even when he is the typical sexy mysterious boy next door, he's irresistible.

But in a way is very similar with other YA books: sexy paranormal boy, his family is also beautiful, her mom is never home and the protagonist is new at school. Also, she's pretty normal but of course the sexy boy thinks she's stunning.

Ignoring that details, I really liked the writing. It was what got me from the beginning. It was easy to read, and it turned interesting very fast. There were some hot scenes, but for me it just made the relationship more realistic. Also, the Aliens haven't been really explored yet, so it was fresh, the Lux are very interesting. I really liked their story besides Katy and Daemon's romance.

Overall, I read Obsidian very fast, it was fun and sexy, it was interesting from the beginning and I literally couldn't sleep until I finished it. Although it has many 'cliches', I still enjoyed it very much and recommend it.


More about this book at Goodreads, Amazon, The Book Depository.

7 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you you reviewed the first one in the series. I've heard the buzz about this series but know almost nothing about it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed Katy and the story in general as well. Glad that you liked it.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep hearing good things about this one too. I love that the MC is a book blogger. How fun for all of us, right?! Sounds like there are some typical cliches, but if the story is good beyond that, I'm okay with it! :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a copy of this book because of the recommendations alone. I am glad you enjoyed it :) I look forward to reading it! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been waiting for reading I haven't got the chance yet!
    But just because you liked it so much I will give it a try :)
    I love that she is a book blogger, how cool!

    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming


    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this, too. I loved all the bloggy references and all the buildup to the big reveal. Damon and Katy are great together and I liked that it was something different, you know not vamps or werewolves and the rest of the usual supects.

    ReplyDelete