Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

July 4, 2011

Book Review: Legacy by Cayla Kluver

Title: Legacy
Author: Cayla Kluver
Series: Legacy #1
Release Date: June 28th, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Age: Young Adult
I noticed his eyes. They were blue, sharp and intense. Despite the youthful glows of his suntanned face, his eyes were cold and unfriendly, suggesting he had great experience in the world and was now expecting the worst.
In her seventeenth year, Princess Alera of Hytanica faces one duty: to marry the man who will be king. But her father's choice of suitor fills her with despair.
When the palace guard captures and intruder—a boy her age with steel-blue eyes, hailing from her kingdom's greatest enemy—Alera is alarmed…and intrigued. But she could not have guessed that their clandestine meetings would unveil the dark legacy shadowing both their lands.
In this mystical world of court conspiracies and blood magic, loyalties will be tested. Courage won't be enough. And as the battle begins for everything Alera holds dear, love may be the downfall of a kingdom.
I've heard many things about this book (it's pretty famous in the Spanish readers), so when I saw it at NetGalley, I knew I had to read it.

Alera is seventeen years old and she is the Princess of Hytanica. Next year, at her birthday, she has to marry the man who will be the next king, by her father's order.

Alera isn't my favorite female protagonist, mostly because she lives in this Hytanica kingdom, where a woman don't have an important role at all. Her only role is to marry Lord Steldor, who is going to be the next king by her father's order, and give a heir. I didn't like how she was so passive about her future. She didn't want to marry but didn't do anything to prevent it (I don't know, maybe I'd have escaped hehe). But, I have to give her some credit and say I started to like her more after meeting Narian, and becoming more interested in the politics of the kingdom and learning self defense.

Narian is probably my favorite character. He's strong and mysterious, but it's obvious he's suffering because of the prophecy. I liked how he never answered to anyone and seemed to be rude, but he was actually very sweet.

The writing was a little bit slow for me. I felt as if nothing really happened and it was almost at the middle of the book that some action and romance started. Also, there were a lot of long descriptions about decoration, dresses, etc. I like descriptions, but sometimes it was too much for me and I just wanted to know what was going to happen with the characters.

I really think Legacy is a good first book of a series. It's very descriptive and I believe it's for the reader to understand how is Hytanica. I wished Alera was stronger or braver, but I'm pretty sure that is going to happen in the next books (Allegiance and Sacrifice). Although it was a little bit slow for me, the author managed to create an interesting world and surprised me with the unexpected ending.


More about this book at caylakluver.com, GoodreadsAmazon, The Book Depository.

4 comments:

  1. With it being slow, I may wait until the next book to pick it up. I've heard mixed reviews on this one and I enjoy your thoughts! Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen too many reviews on this one. I'm still undecided if I want to read it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one, but have been a little reluctant to start it. Maybe I'll get to it this weekend.

    ~Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes a slow read is good, but it can also be hard. I like the premise of the book and am intrigued. Thanks for sharing today.

    ReplyDelete