Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

April 7, 2011

Book Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
Author: Aimee Carter
Series: The Goddess Test #1
Release Date: April 26th, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Age: Young Adult
It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.
I like Greek Mythology so when I heard about The Goddess Test I knew I had to read it!

Kate is young and her mother is dying. She just want to be with her and can't even imagine what would happen when she's gone. But when she meets Henry and he gives her the opportunity to spend more time with her mother before she dies, how can she say no?

Maybe you are familiar with Persephone's story? She was Hades's wife, he kidnapped her. In this book, the author changes a little bit this story and Henry/Hades is alone, looking for a new Queen.

Many girls have tried to pass the seven tests and became a The Queen of the Underworld, but no one was able. Kate is the last girl with the opportunity to become Queen, but she doesn't care about that. She only wants more time with her mother and be able to say goodbye properly.

Kate is 18 years old, but seems to be younger. Maybe because must of her life she has been taking care of her mother. It was really sad, I felt bad for her but I liked her. She was intelligent and not the usual teenager. She was mature. It was interesting to see her accepting her new role and trying to do the best she could at the tests, and even when she fell in love easily with Henry, it wasn't instantly as usual.

Henry wasn't exactly what I had in mind for Hades. He had everything to be the bad-sexy-guy, but he was so...sad. I liked him, but he was always silent and never really a protagonist. I never was sure about his feelings and instead of being a Godl I saw him as a young man.

It's an original story and it grabbed me, but I was expecting more. Maybe it's because I love mythology, but I wanted more about Henry, more about the other Gods...

Overall, I believe this series has great potential, so I'm going to give the next book, Goddess Interrupted, an opportunity and read more about Henry and Kate.


10 comments:

  1. I still can't believe they're going for "Goddess Interrupted" as the sequel's title. Girl, Interrupted is one of my fave books, so I'm a little biased...

    Still, great review, I'll have to check out this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel bad everytime I saw the review about this book. It reminds me that I have not finished reading it.

    I also find myself disappointed when I cant get what I expect from a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm i have the opposite problem. I'm not that crazy about mythology. But I love the cover and have heard such good things about the book.

    Hope i like it. It's on my to read list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the story of Persephone, so I am looking forward to reading this one. Thank you for the honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I passed this over like 4 times, I think I will read it soon though. The cover is amazing and I have heard enough goo/bad that it's one of those ones I think I'll have to see for myself!
    Thanks for the review - great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover >.< it´s gorgeous XD i have to read it, but i thought it was better XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review! I want to read this because I like the Greek mythology. I read mostly negative reviews though so Im not expecting much... Im still going to read it because Im curious and I want to know whether Aimée did a better job at retelling the myth of Persephone than Meg Cabot in her book called Abandon (which Im reading right now and quite enjoying).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review! I really like mythology too, but I've heard some mixed feelings about this one. I'll probably end up reading it. The cover is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard about this book...and I thought it sounded intriguing to read, but after your review, I'm thinking second thoughts. Who knows? Maybe I'll like it. Although, I did like your review! And the cover...sigh; it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful cover, I read this already and my only complaint was Henry. I have to agree he was not what I expected at all! I'm still giving book two a chance since I did still enjoy it, hopefully Henry's character will improve.

    ReplyDelete