Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

May 28, 2011

Book Review: Across The Universe by Beth Revis

Across The Universe by Beth Revis
Author: Beth Revis
Series: Across The Universe #1
Release Date: January 11th 2011
Publisher: Razorbill
Age: Young Adult
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
Across the Universe was on my wishlist since I discovered last year. The cover is amazing and the summary interesting. I was so glad I finally read it. Not even in my wildest dreams I imagined this book would be so original.

Amy is seventeen years old and frozen for 300 years in a spaceship, until they reach the new planet in Godspeed. But suddenly, she's unfrozen and wakes up in a totally different spaceship. One full of weird people.

Elder is the future leader of Godspeed. Since the Plague, that almost killed everyone in the space, there is a leader who decide everything that happens in the ship. He's young, naive, and believe everything the present Eldest teaches him until he discovers Amy and the rest of the frozen people.

Can you imagine living at a spaceship? Could you do it, knowing that you'll die without seeing the sky, the stars, and whatever it's waiting at the new planet? People at Godspeed have been living that way since they were born inside the spaceship, but how can they do it? How they don't feel desperate?

Amy, who lived in Earth, can't believe how people is living inside this spaceship. But soon she discovers that things aren't as they should be. There are new rules, and nobody seems to think those rules are wrong.

Across the Universe is definitely an original story. I'm not a fan of sci-fi but I'm totally starting to like this genre. And I absolutely loved the author's writing. I really felt as Amy, trapped in this spaceship. It helped that I'm kind of claustrophobic and I read the book while flying for 8 hours at a plane, but least I could see the sky...

I always like romance in my books. Across the Universe has a little bit of romance, but I was fine with that. I don't like instant love and the characters were having a bad time at the spaceship. It wouldn't have been realistic.

Overall, I really loved this book. I'm not a reader of science fiction, and I thought it was amazing and original. You should read it, specially if you're looking for something different as sci-fi. I can't wait until the next book, A Million Suns, which comes out next year.


14 comments:

  1. I usually read books with 4 stars or more. Because I recently start to read and there are so much to catch up.
    I like your review about this book, so I going to buy it soon.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found this place via Stella ex Libris, nice blog :)

    And I am so very curious about this book. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone seems to love this, l really need to read this! l have it on my shelf just haven't had time yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, 5 stars?! I really need to read this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same as you, I love the cover also! And I never thought this book would be so intriquing to read...though it sort of reminds me of Avatar, when the main guy wakes up in his sleeping chamber on the ship...ANYWAYS, I really enjoyed this review! I can tell you really liked this book, and I'm checking it out when I can! Keep it up! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeeep! My blogmate has also read this and loved it! Sounds like I should hurry up and
    move that closer to the top of my To-Read list! Thanks for the review!

    -Em

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh! I can't wait to read this book!!! The cover is absolutely gorgeous and your review just boosts my anticipation. Yet, I still have to wait [impatiently] to receive it in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. I have bought the book but haven't read it. After reading your review, it will be on top of my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, That's a great review! LOL! I can't imagine what it feels like reading a novel that's set on space while at the same time, you're flying in a plane! :) Now I haven't really read this yet, but I'm meaning to.. I'm just not sure yet... Maybe I'll try it if you liked it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review, thanks for sharing. I really did love this book, the cover and the story are what really drew me to it. It was sort of similar to BSG and yes, I'm a total sci-fi geek. So, I cannot wait for the rest of this story. :)


    My FF, Blog Hop, TGIF!
    Suz @ A Soul Unsung

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover is amazing, I also loved this book it was actually one of my first YA Sci- Fi books. I agree the originality was refreshing.I can't wait to see what happens in book two.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I so wanna read this book now! I have read many good reviews about it and you also claim tat though you aren't a fan of the genre you loved this book I have to try and somehow get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review I wasn't shure to read this book, now I'm more interested on this book sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked this book well enough. I had problems getting into the book and I couldn't really keep my attention in it. I'm glad you liked it, though!

    ReplyDelete