Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

June 2, 2011

Book Review: Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky
Author: Katie Kacvinsky
Release Date: May 23rd 2011
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Age: Young Adult
Maddie lives in a world where everything is done on the computer. Whether it’s to go to school or on a date, people don’t venture out of their home. There’s really no need. For the most part, Maddie’s okay with the solitary, digital life—until she meets Justin. Justin likes being with people. He enjoys the physical closeness of face-to-face interactions. People aren’t meant to be alone, he tells her.
Suddenly, Maddie feels something awakening inside her—a feeling that maybe there is a different, better way to live. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking.
In this not-so-brave new world, two young people struggle to carve out their own space.
I was really interested in Awaken since the moment I discovered. I like to read dystopia so I thought I was probably going to like this one.

Maddie is the typical teenager. She goes to school, have friends, goes to the movies, etc...but always behind the protection of her computer's screen. At this time, people doesn't really come out of their houses. Why would they? It's dangerous! Besides, they can do whatever they want at their computers.

But not everyone is happy with this kind of life. There are people who still want to talk face to face, touch each other. People who wants to meet the real person, not the one you say you are at your profile.

I was really interested in the plot and in Maddie (and her secret), but still it was extremely difficult for me to read this book. Why? Because I didn't like Maddie's love for Justin. Love at first sight. It was more like an obsession. I know this is typical in YA books, but still I don't like it. I didn't like that the only thing Maddie could think about was him. I understand what it is to be in love (because I'm in love), and specially at that age (because I was at that age), but I don't think it's right to be that obsessed.

Anyway, Awaken is the kind of book that makes you think about the life we are living. It's at the future (2060, I think), but I think it's happening now. People are always playing / talking / etc. with their iPads, Blackberry or whatever device they have, instead of talking to the person who is beside them. I think it's sad, really.

Overall, Awaken is a great book for those who likes to read dystopia. It has an original plot, and even when I wasn't happy with Maddie's love for Justin, I'm still interested to see what's going to happen in the sequel.


More about this book at katiekacvinsky.comGoodreadsAmazon, The Book Depository.

11 comments:

  1. It's number 1 of my to read list!

    This review hasn't put me off, but thanks for the heads up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds like I could like it, or think it's just ok. So hard to know. But what I do know is that I really enjoy dystopia YA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also still keen to read this book, but I really must confess that I'm tired of the love at first sight aspects that so many YA novels are prone to. Great review Gaby - I do love a good dystopian novel so will definitely read this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like dystopia, so I know this one is for me. I can't wait to read it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you. I started this book & I don't like the love obsession thing either, so I had to stop reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am right there with ya! I love an original story, but love obsessions annoy me - they are scary. We need to remember obsession is not love. I have wanted to read this book and hope I can get around that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do have this in my TBR but I have to agree I am not a fan of the whole obsessed love thing, it's not natural.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a fan of dystopia! Can't talk face-to-face?! Sounds horrendous! I totally agree with you on the love at first sight thing! Super annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great review mayby I'll put this book in my BTBR. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. -Super jealous that you got the chance to read it! My local bookstore hasn't gotten this book yet (what a rip-off!). Thank you for your honest review though. :D

    x
    Sierra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great reviews! I love dystopia books. This book sounds interesting, but the obsession sounds creepy. I'm putting this book on my to-read list :D

    ReplyDelete