Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

June 10, 2011

Book Review: Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn

Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn
Author: Julia Quinn
Series: The Smythe-Smiths Quartet #1
Release Date: May 31, 2011.
Publisher: Harper Collins
Age: Adult
Honoria Smythe-Smith is:
A) a really bad violinist
B) still miffed at being nicknamed "Bug" as a child
C) not in love with her older brother's best friend
D) all of the above 
Marcus Holroyd is:
A) the Earl of Chatteris
B) regrettably prone to sprained ankles
C) not in love with his best friend's younger sister
D) all of the above 
Together they:
A) eat quite a bit of chocolate cake
B) survive a deadly fever and the world's worst musical performance
C) fall quite desperately in love 
It's Julia Quinn at her best, so you know the answer is . . .
D) all of the above
I loved Just Like Heaven! Since I discovered it I wanted to read it, and it didn't disappointed me.

The story begins when Honoria, Marcus and her brother Daniel are just kids. Honoria was always bothering them because she wanted to play with them, so they started calling her bug.

Honoria is so funny. She's 21 years old and she's one of my favorite character from historical romance novels. She's sweet and caring, and looking for a husband so she could have her own home.

Marcus is serious, handsome and a gentleman. He promised to look after Honoria while Daniel was out of the country, so she wouldn't marry the wrong man. Of course he does it, chasing away every one of her suitors.

It's the first book I read that is written by Julia Quinn but I loved it! The writing was so light and fun that I couldn't stop reading it. Really, I just read it in a couple of hours. The character were all well written and I liked the romance, because it was sweet and happy. It's common to find a lot of drama in this kind of books, but I loved how Honoria acted when she thought Marcus was only "taken care of her", she was very strong and focussed on her musical. Also, Marcus was so amazing. He wasn't exactly the bad boy, but I loved him. He was so good and even when he tried to be serious, it was just obvious he wanted to be funny just for Honoria. Oh, and at he end, he was very wicked ;).

There was only a moment of the book (when Marcus was very sick) that I thought it was getting to long and a little boring. But still I continue to read, because really, Honoria was just so funny!.

Overall, I loved Just Like Heaven and I'm really hoping there is a next one (I imagine there is, since it says this one is number 1). I might even read The Bridgertons series, which at some point connects with this one.


3 comments:

  1. I would love to read this book :D I have been following the reviews and it just so cute and perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you this was really good, except the part where Marcus is sick went a little long.
    I love Julia Quinn, and would recommend the Bridgerton Series, also What Happens In London is excellent with some laugh out loud moments.
    On a side note the novel the characters read in the book, Miss Butterworth and the Mad Baron I think it's called, is mentioned in a few of her other books and I think Julia Quinn should write it so we can join in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun read, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete