Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

June 11, 2011

Book Review: Love in the Time of Dragons (Light Dragons #1) by Katie MacAlister

Title: Love in the Time of Dragons
Author: Katie MacAlister
Series: Light Dragons #1
Release Date: May 4th, 2011
Publisher: Signet
Age: Adult
Tully Sullivan just woke up in a strange place, surrounded by people she's never met. Which is bad enough. But then the strange people insist they are dragons. And, worse, that she is also a dragon, named Ysolde de Bouchier, one of the most notorious figures in dragon history.
She doesn't buy it. She can't breathe fire or shapeshift. She's not even bothered by gold. But they're adamant. And she's in trouble.
Because these dragons also want to sentence her to death.
If she's going to survive, Tully realises she is going to have to find a way to solve the crimes she's being accused of. Even though they happened in a past she has absolutely no memory of living.
I discovered this book and really wanted to read it, since I love dragons. Also, this is my first book by Katie MacAlister and I've heard great things about her books.

Tully Sullivan is a normal woman, she's married and has a nine years old son, but she sometimes goes into a fugue, sleeps for weeks and her mind travels back to Ysolde, a seventeen years old girl. It's because of this fugue that she finds herself at a dragon's house. They kept telling her she is one of them, but she doesn't believe it. Except, what about Ysolde? Was that really her?

I wouldn't have known Ysolde and Tully where the same person. They were completely different. Tully is kind of dumb, let her husband call her stupid bitch and accept that he treats her badly . Instead, Ysolde is brave and more interesting.

Baltic, Ysolde / Tully romantic interest is sexy and strong, but I don't know why I didn't totally liked him. He was kind of funny sometimes, and I also prefer the past Baltic from the present.

Sometimes, the mind time travel and dream sequences appeared suddenly and were confusing, but after reading for a while I got to understand what was going on. Still, I felt as if this book wasn't the first of a series. I don't know if this book is related to another series from the author, but I understand it's the first one of the Light Dragons series.

But, I got to say that the plot was so revolt that it was kind of funny. Dragons, demons, magic and more, this book has it all. Also, I was laughing a couple of times, but sometimes thought the humor wasn't appropriated for me. For example, Tully's son, Brom, kept talking about his mother's boobs and I wasn't comfortable with that. 

Overall, Love in the Time of Dragons is the kind of book I can't say I liked it but also didn't hated it. I think it has a good plot, and maybe the next book would offer more explanations about the dragons.


More about this book at Goodreads, Amazon, The Book Depository.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry this one fell short for you :( it does sound really good and I do plan to try one of her books one day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard great things too about Katie MacAlister. Especially the first book that is steampunk. I love steampunk. Sorry that this one wasn't for you.

    ReplyDelete