Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

July 21, 2011

Book Review: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: Percy Jackson and The Olympians #1
Release Date: June 28th, 2005
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Age: Middle Grade
After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.
This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.
If you like books filled with adventure and Greek mythology, you have to read The Lightning Thief.

Percy Jackson is a twelve years old boy who has been expelled from a couple of schools and can't concentrate. Everybody thinks he's a failure, except his mother. So it isn't exactly surprising that he has only one friend and his school and a teacher hates him. What he wasn't expecting was that her teacher became a monster and tried to kill him.

Nobody seems to remind that little detail, but he's sure he isn't crazy. But Percy's past is full of secrets, and his mother has tried to protect him until now.

Percy's voices trapped me from the beginning. He's young, but extremely fun and mature, and innocent. When he discovers he's a demigod, things starts to get complicated. First, nobody knows who is his father and now he's being accused of stealing Zeus lightning bolt.

That's why he, and his friends Grover and Annabeth decides to discovers who is the real thief and that way stop a war between gods. But of course, the Gods have never been very fair and some of them wants Percy to be guilty.

Their journey is so much fun. Full of adventures and dangers, there were always twists that managed to surprise me.

The writing is simple and with Percy's voice, I read it very quickly. It was never boring or too intense, and I always wanted to read more.

Overall, The Lightning Thief is a story with Greek mythology interlaced with the modern world that I loved, and I regret I didn't read it when I was younger. I'm definitely going to read more of the Percy Jackson's books, I believe it's going to be one of my favorite series!





5 comments:

  1. I hope it becomes one of your favourite series! It's definitely one of mine; I love Percy Jackson, it's a great take on greek mythology. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh shut up! I have this sitting in my pilr from the library, and can't wait to get to it. Glad it's worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series! I wish I had read it when I was younger as well. :) But I am glad that I read the series when it was already complete... I hate waiting for books especially when they're part of a series this good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't sure I wanted to read this after watching the terrible movie version, but after reading your review I think I have to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the series, as well as I love all the books I have read so far written by Rick Riordan.

    ReplyDelete