Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

July 18, 2011

Book Review: Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: Linger
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls #2
Release Date: May 1, 2011
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Age: Young Adult
In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.
At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love -- the light and the dark, the warm and the cold -- in a way you will never forget.
Linger is the sequel of Shiver, and it follows Grace and Sam's story after he was cured. Although Shiver wasn't one of my favorite books, I wanted to know what would happen with Sam and Grace.

In Linger, Sam and Grace are still very much in love and want to be together forever. They are a very sweet couple and their relationship is almost perfect, expect for Grace's parents and her "disease".

The book is still written from Grace and Sam POV, but it was refreshing to read Isabel's and Cole's thoughts too. They were very interesting, more than Grace, because I felt like I knew what was going to happen to her.

The writing was lyrical, almost poetic. It's perfect for this romance, but sometimes for me it was a too descriptive and dramatic.

What doesn't really grabs me are the characters, their feelings. They are always like depressed, even when good things happens to them (ex. Sam). They are too intense and sometimes were too much for me. Maybe that's way Isabel was my favorite this time, she has big troubles but is much more practical and strong.

But, I have to admit that the author managed to convert this book in not another book about werewolves, but a sweet and heartwarming story.

Overall, I'm glad I read Linger. I wasn't so sure after reading Shiver, but I think this book is much better. It's romance, mature, with a little bit more of action and an ending that left you wanting more.


3 comments:

  1. I also like Cole and Isabelle better than Grace and Sam, their relationship is much more exciting and I wonder all the time what will happen to them in Forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your so lucky you didn't have to wait for Forever to come out! I died after reading this, l wanted to find out what happens so bad! I still need to read Forever though haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points. While beautifully written, it could get a bit slow.

    ReplyDelete