Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

May 30, 2017

TV Series Review: GIRLS

TV Series Review: GIRLS


GIRLS is a series about 4 women in their 20's and living in New York. They are trying to figure out what to do with their lives and how to do it.

Hannah (Lena Dunham), Marnie, Jessa and Shoshanna have very different personalities, but they manage to be friends. I don't think I have a favorite, sometimes I liked one of them and sometimes I hated them for being so dramatic or self destructive. There are lots of sex scene, some drugs, but mostly women being very immature and doing crazy things. I'm not sure if New York is so crazy in real as every series I've seen, but wow.

I'm sure there are lots of women in their 20's trying to figure out their lives, and they can relate to at least one of the characters. But for me it was difficult to connect sometimes. Maybe it's the age, or maybe it's that I couldn't connect because my life was totally different, and some of their problems seemed so simple for me. I read this article a few days ago at The Huffington Post that says "...the criticism that the show Girls makes about middle class New Yorkers is that they take their privilege for granted, are entitled, narrow minded, unaware and have pretensions of being special, talented and liberal..."; and I agree. Is not easy to watch sometimes but that's the idea.

But I'm glad there was space for a series like this in TV. Lena Dunham wrote about realistic women, experimenting and doing things their own way, and it's not something you see every day on television.

Also, I began reading Lena Dunham's book, Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned", but I didn't finish it. I didn't connect at all with her voice or her experiences.


No comments:

Post a Comment