Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

August 23, 2010

Review: Forgive My Fins (Fins #1) by Tera Lynn Childs

Title: Forgive My Fins
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Serie: Fins #1
Release Date: May 19th 2010
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 293
Age: Young Adult
Synopsis from goodreads.com:
Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.
Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life.
When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.
I'm a big fan of Tera Lynn Childs Oh.My.Gods series, so I was really eager to read this book as soon as possible. The cover is absolutely gorgeous, and the promise of mermaids excited me.

Lily is a 17 years old mermaid girl living in the human world with her aunt. She has two best friends, a crush, and a neighbor whom she'll like not to exist. She's funny and sweet, but I thought she was very much like the protagonist of Oh.My.Gods series, very naive and with more insecurities that I'd like her to have.

I loved Quince. He is exactly the boy I'd like to date! (if I wasn't dating the most awesome man, hehe). He's intelligent, responsible, totally secure about himself and very funny. He's very respectful with Lily and so sweet.

The other characters, as lily's two best friends, her family, her crush, etc. are ok. I wish she would have spent more time with Peri and Shannen, or her aunt. But it wasn't part of this story....of at least not of this book.

Maybe the plot isn't exactly surprising, but the author manages to invent something new for the mermaids mythology. And her writing style is what I like the most. It's funny, sassy and cute at the same time. It doesn't let you stop reading. Fast paced but at the same time very enjoyable, it was extremely easy to read (I read it in a couple of hours) and at some points I couldn't stop giggling.

I wish the mermaids (their world, people, etc) would have been a little bit more described, but as a series, I'm expecting more of these in the next books.

Forgive My Fins is an excellent young adult chick lit book, perfect for a light reading, with enough romance and fantasy to keep you reading until you end it.

Rating:

More about this book at www.teralynnchilds.comAmazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment