Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

April 13, 2011

Book Review: The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group by Catherine Jinks

The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group by Catherine Jinks
Author: Catherine Jinks
Release Date: April 4th, 2011
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Age: Young Adult
I still hadn't fully absorbed the terrible possibility that I might actually be a werewolf. A werewolf. I kept stumbling over that word; it made no sense to me. How could I be a werewolf? Werewolves didn't exist.
When Tobias Richard Vandevelde wakes up in hospital with no memory of the night before, his horrified mother tells him that he was found by the police. At Featherdale Park. In a dingo pen.
As if that isn't weird enough, suddenly a very menacing looking guy and a priest show up at his door.
As the mystery unfolds, Toby finds himself keeping company with some very strange and sickly looking people - members of a suburban vampire support group. And when he's abducted in broad daylight, he will need all their help to break free ... and to come to terms with his own incredibly rare condition.
I  love the cover and love werewolves, so why not read it?

I'm glad I read it. I love male protagonists, and I think Toby was a great one. He's thirteen years old and apparently a werewolf. He was fun and always had a sarcastic comment that made me laugh. Sometimes he acted like being older, but in the end he was just a boy trying to deal with his "problem".

Not only Toby was a great character, his mother, friends, and the others were excellent. It's difficult to find an author who can write characters as well as this one, I felt as if I knew them.

I also liked the plot. It isn't easy to be original when talking about werewolves, but this author manages to give it an interesting (and realistic) twist. Werewolf's traffic? Fights? Excellent. It was scary and something that can actually happen.

Sometimes the story was a little bit slow, but always full of action which helped me to keep reading.

Overall, I really liked this book. It was funny and easy to read, and I would like to read the companion novel, which was published before this one and it's called The Reformed Vampire Support Group, to learn more about the rest of the group.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I added it to my GR list a while ago, but haven't heard much about it since. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looks good. I love werewolf stories. thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete